The National Safeguarding Committee will lead on encouraging an organisational and societal culture which promotes the rights of adults who may be vulnerable and it insists on zero tolerance for abuse. It will provide strategic guidance to the Government, the HSE, and other national stakeholders.
Since we were established we have been working on the development of a strategic plan for 2017 – 2021, preparing for a public awareness campaign and making a strong case for legislation on safeguarding. Progress is being made and this website will keep you informed and act as a means whereby the general public can provide feedback and suggest how we can make further progress.
The current members of the National Inter-Sectoral Committee for Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults are as follows:
|Ms.||Susan||Kent||Dept of Health|
|Ms.||Mairin||Haran||Dept of Social Protection|
|Det. Sgt.||Jennifer||Molony||An Garda Siochána|
|Mr.||Brian||O'Donnell||National Federation of Voluntary Bodies|
|Mr.||Mark||Blake Knox||Not-For-Profit Organisation|
|Dr.||Joanne||McCarthy||Disability Federation of Ireland|
|Mr.||Phelim||Quinn||Health Information and Quality Authority|
|Ms.||Louise||O'Mahony||Banking & Payment Federation Ireland|
|Ms.||Mary||Keane||The Law Society|
|Ms.||Maureen||Kavanagh||Active Retirement Ireland|
|Ms.||Catherine||Cox||Family Carers Ireland|
|Ms.||Siobhan||Nunn||Principal Social Worker from Safeguarding and Protection Teams|
|Mr.||Michael||Fitzgerald||Social Care Management|
|Mr.||Brendan||O'Shea||Irish College of General Practitioners|
|Ms.||Patricia||Gilheaney||CEO Mental Health Commission|
|Ms.||Ann-marie||O'Connor||Business Manager MABS|
|Mr.||Tom||Fitzpatrick||Chartered Accountants of Ireland|
|Ms.||Phil||Ní Sheaghdha||Director of Industrial Relations|
|Dr.||Cathal||Morgan||Social Care Division|
|Mr.||Tim||Hanly||HSE National Safeguarding Office|
|Ms.||Marguerite||Clancy||Senior Research and Information Officer|
|Dr.||Verena||Keane||Faculty of Learning Disability Psychiatry, College of Psychiatrists|
|Dr.||Maria||Moran||Faculty of Old Age Psychiatry, College of Psychiatrists|
The National Safeguarding Committee will be independently chaired and will derive representation from a number of agencies. It will lead on encouraging an organisational and societal culture which promotes the rights of adults who may be vulnerable. Membership of the National Safeguarding Committee will be reviewed biannually by the Chair in conjunction with the HSE National Director Social Care and the Director of the Decision Support Service.
Specifically, the Committee will:
- Promote zero tolerance for abuse of adults who are vulnerable.
- Provide strategic guidance to the Government, HSE and other National Stakeholders, in relation to the promotion of the rights and independence of all vulnerable adults.
- Promote the rights of adults who may be vulnerable through public awareness and through the activities of the National Safeguarding Committee.
- Develop a national plan for promoting the welfare, and safeguarding from abuse, of adults (to include protection from abuse by persons and institutions).
- Provide oversight, guidance and influence on legislation, policies and procedures, when required, in order to ensure that the promotion of safeguarding principles are enshrined in policies and procedures and that complaints and concerns are addressed appropriately.
- Ensure that information gathering and analysis systems operate to inform effective management and learning in all organisations.
- Commission research, public awareness campaigns and training aimed at promoting the rights of adults who may be vulnerable.
- Report, on an agreed basis, to the HSE National Director Social Care in liaison with the Director of Decision Support Service (when established).
- Contribute to the review of the Safeguarding Vulnerable Persons at Risk of Abuse – National Policy and Procedures.
- Develop a five-year plan of activities by the National Safeguarding Committee to promote the welfare, empowerment and independence of adults who may be vulnerable, and report annually on its activities.